Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Review: The Eternal Ones - Kirsten Miller

Where I got it: ARC from publisher
Rating: 5 stars
Cover Rating: 4 stars (I really like the simplicity of this cover and the boldness of the red. I look forward to seeing the complete design [inside and out] for the hardcover.)
Genre: Young Adult
Publication Date: August 10, 2010
Publisher: Razorbill
Page Count: 411 p.

This is not Haven's first life. She can feel it with every inch of her and with every vision she has. When a flicker of a face on t.v. sets her off into another vision, Haven realizes it might be high time for her to figure out what is going on. Her grandmother is dead set against Haven leaving her protective care and with the help of the preacher,  tries to convince Haven and everyone in the town that she is possessed by the devil. Haven doesn't think this is the case and knows she needs to get out of Snope City. She doesn't know what she is running to, but she knows she has to find him... before it's too late.

Wow, this book was remarkable. Kirsten Miller truly loves New York City and it shows in her beautiful descriptions that portray the city as a paradise. My only complaint about this novel is that most of the time characters act like they are in their twenties instead of still being teenagers. This is especially true of Haven and Beau; it seems unrealistic, since they are from such a small town. As events unfold their maturity begins to make more sense, but it still seems a bit odd. I don't even know where to begin further praise of this book. As some of you might know, I thoroughly enjoyed Kirsten's other series, Kiki Strike and this novel was not a disappointment. The Eternal Ones, like Kiki Strike, had that kind of adventurous fun that keeps the novel moving along at an edge of your seat pace. This novel had enough twist and turns to make sure you were never sure. I loved the characters and everyone played their parts quite well. I wish the romance was a little more romance-y, but it was pretty good all things considered. I feel like if I talk about anything but the beginning of this book it will be all spolier-y, so I will not. You have to read this book though, it was incredible. Make sure you start it at the beginning of your day since you will not be able to put it down and will be racing through the pages to see how everything turns out. Kirsten has mentioned that she is working on a sequel, can I just say
» Click to show Spoiler «
Really, honestly read this book though, it's got slight paranormal aspects to it, interesting religious conversations, reincarnation, a secret society, some action and loads of over things that make this book full of awesomeness. Buy it, read it, period.

First Lines:
"Haven was back. She glanced across the familiar room. Silver clouds hovered over the skylight high above a rumpled bed."

Favorite Line:
"It was the sort of sad , yearning kiss perfected long ago by sailors and soldiers and men who led dangerous lives. "

1 comment:

  1. Glad u enjoyed it! my fave character was Beau, can't wait 4 the next one :D

    ReplyDelete

Hello readers! I love comments, so please feel free to leave them. I do comment back on every comment I get, though it may take me a couple of days. Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...