Thursday, March 25, 2010

Review: Kiki Strike: Inside the Shadow City - Kirsten Miller

Where I got it: My Collection
Rating: 4.5 stars
Cover Rating: 4 stars (Great!)
Genre: Young Adult(I assume)
Publication Date: May 29, 2007
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Children's Books
Page Count: 387 p.

One day Anaka Fishbein notices out her bedroom window a giant sinkhole in Central Park. Being a curious 12-year-old girl she decides to check it out. She climbs in and finds out that it is an underground apartment. This event also causes her to catch the eye of a girl named Kiki Strike. When Kiki Strike calls upon Anaka for a top secret mission, Anaka agrees. As their story progresses, with rats and Girl Scouts and lots of secrets and mistrust, Anaka has to decide what she is going to do and who is really her friend.

This book was so exciting! A cross between The Mysterious Benedict Society and Harriet the Spy with a pinch of feminism on top. A definite girl-power novel, full of action and espionage! I loved the concept of an underground world that no one really knows about. Kirsten Miller brings out the darker side of her New York quite marvelously. I wish I had friends like these, never a dull moment. Just when you thought that you had something figured out something else would happen and you would be left wondering if it's true or not. This is a definite must read with stronger appeal to the younger end of YA, but a treat to all ages. I loved Anaka's direct commentary "lessons" like "HOW TO FOLLOW SOMEONE... WITHOUT GETTING CAUGHT" and "HOW TO PREPARE FOR AN ADVENTURE". This book is so full of adventure that you will wish you could go on at lest one trek with The Irregulars. I am so looking forward to getting my hands on a copy of the sequel. This book was hard to put down but why would you want to?

First Line:
"TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN: By taking the time to open this book, you've become a member of a very elite group: The Curious."

Favorite Line:
"I decided the real lesson to be learned from fairy tales is that things are rarely what they seem."

1 comment:

  1. This seems like a cool chick-lit to check out - thanks for the review! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello readers! I love comments, so please feel free to leave them. I do comment back on every comment I get, though it may take me a couple of days. Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...