Monday, November 22, 2010

Review: Wicked Girls - Stephanie Hemphill


WherI got it: My Collection
Rating: 5 stars 

Cover Rating: 5 stars (Very pretty)
Genre: Young Adult  
Publication Date: June 29, 2010
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Page Count:  402 p.

We've all heard about the witches in Salem's Witch Trials. We've all heard the names of the girls' who accused. Now we get a fictional insight into the young girls' minds. Told in verse alternating between the voices of three of the girls, this is a great story about what was going on in their lives and what or who made them act the way they did.

I really enjoyed this book. I am very fascinated by the Salem Witch Trials, as well as other accounts of witches being wrongfully(or rightfully) accused and persecuted. It was a nice change of pace to hear the story of the Trials from the perspective of the girls who were doing the accusing. Margaret, is mostly thinking about the boy she desperately wants to be with, while also trying to stay in Ann's mind. Ann is only 12 and obsessed with trailing her maid Mercy around. Though Mercy says to give Ann power, Ann always looks to Mercy for their next move. Each girl seems to have a different motive in acting afflicted, and the parents are of no help. Some of the girls are rueful, while other don't realize that anything is truly wrong until it's too late. I loved the voices of the girls and how you could see the age and class difference between them and the way that these girls think. If  you have any interest in the Salem Witch Trials, make sure you check this out.

First Line:
"Silent, not even the twitter of insects."

Favorite Line:
"A terrible screech sounds,
like a thousand birds crying
all at once."

3 comments:

  1. I, too, am SO fascinated by the Salem Witch Trials...this sounds incredible! Great review, Britt! I'm totally picking this up ASAP :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one has been in my TBR pile since its release in June, and I keep putting off reading it for some reason, though now with your review, it has been moved up on my list of books to read next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review. Like the fact that we hear from different girls and I really like the topic. I need to read this one - it goes straight in the TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete

Hello readers! I love comments, so please feel free to leave them. I do comment back on every comment I get, though it may take me a couple of days. Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...