Monday, October 18, 2010

Review: Nightshade - Andrea Cremer

WherI got it: ARC from publisher
Rating: 5 stars 
Cover Rating: 5 stars (I love that Nightshade(the flower) is purple and this cover is all purplely. I also love the Calla Lilies, for Calla.)
Genre: Young Adult 
Publication Date: October 19, 2010 
Publisher: Philomel 
Page Count: 452 p
 

Calla is the alpha in her pack of Nightshades. Renier is the alpha for his pack of Banes. They are destined to be together, at least that's what the Keepers have declared. When Calla risk her life for a dying hiker, she thinks it as just a moment of weakness. When this same mysterious hiker shows up at her school and becomes part of her life though, Calla feels herself questioning her every instinct. This boy makes her questions all that she knows, the whole order of her life and the lives of those she loves. Can Calla keep it together and join with Ren to form their new pack, or are there too many questions that she needs answered first?

This book was awesome, a lot better than I was expecting it to be. Nothing against Andrea or anything, I just have a hard time getting super excited about another paranormal romance, but Andrea shows a deft writing skill in this debut. I liked Calla instantly, she was a strong warrior and the leader of her pack. She was very much a typical teenage girl though. All the characters in this novel were flawlessly natural with each other, except for the Keeper kids, they are quite weird.
If you are arachnophobic, there is certainly a part to make your skin crawl. These are not your typical hard-bodied werewolves, they are quite a bit more gruesome than the Quileutes. It was fantastic to read a book that was nearly equal parts love triangle madness and horrifying imagery. A werewolf book with animalistic urges tucked away inside always a great thing in my mind.
Andrea did a fantastic job describing the back-story of the Guardians, without making it seem like someone delivering a monologue. I also really liked the reasoning she gave for why all these folks could go around from werewolf to human form and not just be walking around in their birthday suits (you'll have to read it to know her secrets). 
This was a great debut and I am eagerly anticipating the sequel, Wolfsbane(loving the flower references in these books). Though Nightshade did end well, I am still dying to know what is next for Calla.

First Line:
"I'd always welcomed war, but in battle my passion rose unbidden."

 Favorite Line:
"'Ah. Too personal.' He raised his eyebrows. ' The relationship between a girl and her favorite novel can be complex indeed.'"

3 comments:

  1. I am so very annoyed a five star book like Nightshade does not come out in the UK til January 2011. Hmmp.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read and review this - it was fantastic!!

    -Linds

    ReplyDelete

Hello readers! I love comments, so please feel free to leave them. I do comment back on every comment I get, though it may take me a couple of days. Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...