Thursday, October 21, 2010

Review: The Magnificent 12: The Call - Michael Grant

WherI got it: Finished copy from publisher
Rating: 4 stars 

Cover Rating: 3 stars (It's okay.)
Genre: Young Adult 
Publication Date: September 1, 2010
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Page Count: 243 p

David had no desire to become a hero. He was actually afraid of a lot of things. To name a few things he was afraid of, he had arachnophobia, pyrophobia, thalassophobia and claustrophobia along with many other very scary phobias. So when a creepy old man freezes time and talks to him, he isn't really sure what to do. Later on this same old man tells him he has to go on a journey to save the world from The Pale Queen. David, called Mack, really doesn't want to go, but present danger sets him of on an adventure to find the other 11 Magnifica. 


This was an exciting and fun story, definitely targeted to younger teen boys. This story was told following Mack in the present and following a man named Grimluk around 3,000 years ago. It was a really fun and enjoyable adventure with some neat concepts and some really scary-sounding creatures. I really enjoyed the amusing tone of the novel, where Mack is still young and doesn't take himself quite so seriously yet. I certainly look forward to the next installment of the Magnificent 12. I eagerly await the discovery of the next Magnifica. This isn't a very serious or edge of your seat kind of novel. It is a very fun light read, which I think would be good for young reluctant readers or even avid readers looking for something new.

First Line:
"David MacAvoy--whose friends called him Mack--was not and unlikely hero."

Favorite Line:
"But it's possible that I have grown more than I should because Mom was whispering to Dad that I needed a shrink."  

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with your review. I will shaing this with my reluctant readers!

    ReplyDelete

Hello readers! I love comments, so please feel free to leave them. I do comment back on every comment I get, though it may take me a couple of days. Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...