Friday, October 22, 2010

Review: Ghostgirl - Tanya Hurley

WherI got it: Inter-library loan
Rating: 2.5 stars 

Cover Rating: 4 stars (It's pretty neat, especially the hardcover.)
Genre: Young Adult 
Publication Date: August 1, 2008
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Page Count: 328 p.

Charlotte Usher is invisible, even before she dies. People just tended to have a way of completely ignoring her. This year she though it would be different, a new look and a new attitude was sure to bring her new respect. Then, she went and died. Now she actually is invisible and none to happy about being dead. She figures she should still have a chance at getting all her dreams lived out, even if she has to do it in someone else's body.

This book didn't really do it for me. I found Charlotte depressingly shallow. I also found this novel a little hard to follow, because so many YA books are written in first person, yet this one seemed to be written as an omnipresent third person narrator. About half way through, while I was considering giving up, I decide that I would take a new approach and pretend that Jim Dale was narrating. He just has this way of making everything satirical. This made the book a bit better, but still it just fell a little flat for me. It wasn't by any means a bad book, just not one I would care to read again. It left me no desire to even pick up the next one to find out what happens. All in all I did not enjoy this book very much but I'm sure lots of other people will.  

First Line:
"You never think it will happen to you." 

Favorite Line:
"After graduation
You'll be all cellulite and fatty,
sittin' next to Maury
searchin' for yo' baby's daddy!"

1 comment:

  1. I've never heard of this one before, and while the premise is interesting, I'm not sure it's for me. Either way, great review! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello readers! I love comments, so please feel free to leave them. I do comment back on every comment I get, though it may take me a couple of days. Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...