Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Review: The Frenzy - Francesca Lia Block

WherI got it: Library
Rating: 4 stars 
Cover Rating: 4.5 stars (the girl on the cover reminds me of the singer from A Fine Frenzy... coincidence?)
Genre: Young Adult 
Publication Date: October 1, 2010
Publisher: HarperTeen
Page Count: 258 p.

Liv has a secret, that she has kept since it first reared it's ugly head when she was thirteen. She knows what is inside her, but she has chosen to ignore it. When she starts to love Corey though, she wants to tell him so bad, but is afraid it will make him hate her and leave her. She finds some people in the woods who try to explain things to her, but Liv doesn't know if she can trust them. Liv isn't sure who her real family is and who she can trust at all.

This was a pretty good book. I'm trying to judge it as a book by itself instead of a Francesca Lia Block book. It was lacking more of that magic that makes it one of her novels, but it was still vaguely wonderful. I really appreciate how much raging against herself Liv had to do just to keep herself sane. The Frenzy is a great name to call her a affliction. I loved when her animal instincts would kick in and she would suddenly; be more aware of her surroundings. This was a well written and enjoyable glimpse into Liv's tormented life. Liv's life isn't easy, but being a teenager never really is and her condition simply is another obstacle. Corey is a great guy and I really liked Pace too. If you were looking forward to this novel you shouldn't be too disappointed it was certainly and entertaining and somewhat lyrical tale.

First Line:
"At some point in everyone's life they ask the question, 'Who am I?'"


Favorite Lines:
"They say you will lose yourself. It wasn't true.I felt as if I has finally found myself and the girl in Corey's arms wasn't a monster, not at all."

2 comments:

  1. I think this is the first positive review I've seen of The Frenzy. I'll probably check this out at the library. I only buy books I know will be fantastical... But thanks for the review! I'll reconsider my reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of the writer and of the book - I'll check both out!

    ReplyDelete

Hello readers! I love comments, so please feel free to leave them. I do comment back on every comment I get, though it may take me a couple of days. Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...