Thursday, August 26, 2010

Review: Life on the Refrigerator Door - Alice Kuipers

Where I got it: My collection
Rating: 4.5 stars
Cover Rating: 3 stars (It's okay, the title is great but really the cover is just so-so.)
Genre: Young Adult
Publication Date: September 1, 2007
Publisher: Harper
Page Count: 240p.

Claire and her mom don't have a lot of time with each other. Claire's parents are divorced and her mom works a lot delivering babies. Claire is also quite busy socially, with her boyfriend, homework and babysitting. When her mom goes to the doctor's office, she doesn't not come back with very good news. As their time together ticks by Claire and her mom get into a few verbal fights. Claire's mom just wants to protect her from having to go through this too, but she might find she needs her daughter's love and support even more. 

This was a touching story told in brief notes left on a refrigerator in a house rarely occupied by it's two tenants simultaneously. Claire and her mom seem to constantly miss each other. Some things are easier to say on paper, but some things need to be said out loud. This novel discusses growing up and growing closer to those you love and care about. I do wish the notes looked more handwritten, instead of typed out paragraphs.  I think this is a great book that shows the dynamics of mother-daughter relationships. A must read for teen girls and their mums. It may bring you closer to your loved one than before. 

First Line:
"Hey Claire-bear,
milk
apples
bananas
avocados
onions
potatoes
tomatoes
mushrooms
carrots and rabbit food for Peter
ground beef
bread
juice--you choose"

Favorite Line:
"I feel like all the colors in the room have got more intense."  

1 comment:

  1. Hi, my name is Reina Soto! All I wanted to say is; Thank You because you have helped me (and of course a lot of other families) to actually spend more time with the ones you love and to never ignore them because you never know what may happen... I am doing a homework based on this book because I just love it and this book deserves to be shown to others! I cried because this book is really touching.
    Thank you so much and hopefully you get this message :)
    Sincerely,
    A fan xx

    ReplyDelete

Hello readers! I love comments, so please feel free to leave them. I do comment back on every comment I get, though it may take me a couple of days. Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...