Thursday, August 5, 2010

Review: Grace - Elizabeth Scott

Where I got it: ARC from Princess Bookie's Around the World Tours
Rating: 4 stars
Cover Rating: 4 stars (I love the colors, you don't see orange like this on covers. I am a little confused about what the textures represent *shrugs*)
Genre: Young Adult
Publication Date: September 16, 2010
Publisher: Dutton Juvenile
Page Count: 200 p.

Grace was raised as an Angel. She always knew that her fate was to die for her People's cause. On the day that she is sent to suicide bomb, she decides she would much rather live. Cast out by her people she has no choice but to flee from Keran Berj's (the leader of the city that the Angel's fight against) land. She is set up with a traveling companion who also wants to escape over the border. Though someone is with her, she still fears being found out. Every moment she's on the train she risks discovery and the only reason she strives forward is to escape her past.

This was a wonderful and fast read. Grace's story sucks you in and doesn't let you go until her last few words. This was a dystopian novel but seemed not too distant from parts of our current world.  You truly started to understand our main characters, Grace and Kerr, and how tough it must be to flee everything you know. This was a truly remarkable read that has you wondering about their society long after you've finished the book. Their societies they thought were so different but they come to realizes are founded on a lot of the same principles. My only complaint is that the last six chapters all seemed like they were the last one. The story continues to slowly progress, but Grace just seems to simply reiterate the conclusions she has come to in each of these final chapters. This was an excellent novel of two people learning that they might not be alone after all and the train ride that tests their courage, strength and will to live.

First Line:
"I'm afraid my hair is showing."

Favorite Line:
"It sounded like the thunder from a hundred storms, and made the ground pulse, a strange, love throbbing that I couldn't hear, but could feel beneath my feet."

3 comments:

  1. Can't wait for this book. Love Elizabeth Scott.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cover for this book is gorgeous. It's sounds so completely different from other YA novels and I've been looking forward to it for a while. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard great things about this book. Thanks for the review!

    Oh, and for the past 10+ minutes I've been going through your posts...I have a not-so formal request. SHOW US YOUR BOOKSHELF!!! :D

    ReplyDelete

Hello readers! I love comments, so please feel free to leave them. I do comment back on every comment I get, though it may take me a couple of days. Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...