Friday, June 4, 2010

Review: A Dirty Job - Christopher Moore

WherI got it: My collection
Rating: 5 stars
Cover Rating: 5 stars (I have the paperback version and... it glows in the dark!)
Genre: Adult
Publication Date: March 27, 2007
Publisher: HarperCollins
Page Count: 405 p.


Charlie Asher was a normal guy. Until he wasn't. When objects begin to start glowing red, he hears whispers from the storm drains and people start to drop dead around him, Charlie knows something must be wrong. After a little bit of wandering about without a clue, someone lets him in on a secret; he's one of Death's minions(though they aren't sure if there still is just on Death{with a capital "D"}). Charlie is not too fond of this idea, but the Big Book of Death says; "It's a dirty job. But somebody's gotta do it."


This might be my favorite Christopher more yet! It has a perfect blend of laugh-out-loud funny and ball-you-eyes-out sad. This book holds an epic battle on each it's pages, a battle between the darkness and the light. I have always loved Moore's twisted, absurd humor and this novel did not disappoint. Moore cooked up some hilarious and unique characters. These include, but are not limited to, squirrel monsters in ballroom dresses, and sewer harpies as well as the main character with Charlie himself. If you enjoy laughing while you read and don't mind foul language and an awkward sex scene here and there please check this out. The only bad thing about reading Moore is you are going to want to keep reading his books. Then all the other Not-Moore books are going to get jealous(maybe even cry) because you aren't reading them, even though you promised you would. Charlie was an excellent protagonist, if a little daft. I wouldn't mind seeing him again in a future novel. The only thing that was a little disappointing was knowing the ending fairly early on in the novel. It was very obvious(and I'm usually crap at guessing endings) and I can't believe how no one in the novel figured it out earlier. *shrugs* Still, this was enjoyable and I loved each and every one of the characters. I will probably need to re-read this after letting all my friends borrow it. So go grab a copy today. 


First Line:
"Charlie Asher walked the earth like an ant walks on the surface of water, as if the slightest misstep might send him plummeting through the surface to be sucked to the depths below."


Favorite Line:
"In Rachel's room, Charlie said: 'If they removed her tail, I want it. She'll want it when she gets older.'"

1 comment:

  1. This was the first Moore book I read, and I'm hooked on him.

    ReplyDelete

Hello readers! I love comments, so please feel free to leave them. I do comment back on every comment I get, though it may take me a couple of days. Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...