Saturday, May 29, 2010

Review: Would You - Marthe Jocelyn

Where I got it: Inter-library
Rating:  2.5 stars
Cover Rating: 4 stars (Interesting and story relevant.)
Genre: Young Adult
Publication Date: July 8, 2008
Publisher:  Wendy Lamb Books
Page Count: 165 p.

Natalie is forever hanging onto her older sister Claire. At times they can be the best of friends, even though Claire is older and has her own friends. One night changes a lot of things. When Claire is in an accident things start to look different from Natalie's point of view. Her friends game of Would You Rather? takes on a different feel as they try to figure out how to cope.

I didn't love this main character. The whole time I really wanted to feel bad or her having to go through all these things, but I just couldn't. At one point Natalie's father cries and she is completely insensitive saying he shouldn't be able to cry. Natalie did not strike me as a sixteen year old. Her and her friends seemed 12 or 13 not almost high school juniors. I liked the Would You Rather? question but that was just about it. I didn't really seem like Natalie was all that upset about her sister, so how could I as the reader be? Natalie was just very juvenile and insensitive, maybe she was in shock, but all in all I didn't like her or her story.

First Lines:
"Would you rather know what's going to happen? Or not know?"

Favorite Lines:
"Picture of neglect. Plenty of dust bunnies. Dust antelopes, actually."

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the honest review! Hmm I think I'm going to pass on this one. I hate it when you don't get along with the main character haha.

    ReplyDelete

Hello readers! I love comments, so please feel free to leave them. I do comment back on every comment I get, though it may take me a couple of days. Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...