Saturday, May 22, 2010

Review: Girl Goddess #9 - Francesca Lia Block

Where I got it: My collection
Rating:  3.5 stars
Cover Rating: 3.5 stars (interesting, but looks poorly done.)
Genre: Young Adult
Publication Date: February 28, 1998
Publisher: HarperTeen
Page Count: 181 p.


Nine stories about girls who are lost in the world but find themselves as goddesses. Not in the literal meaning of Goddess, but they find that each of them are wonderful in their own way and they each have a place in the world.


This book is full of short stories about being a girl. Every type of girl. From a small girl that doesn't want to grow up, to girls that run a zine. Another great work for young girls by Francesca Lia Block. When I was introduced to her books, back when I first started reading YA, I couldn't get enough of her. She sends such a positive message in such a beautiful magical way. I love the way she uses words to craft her scenery. I enjoy this book, maybe a little less than I did when I was younger and still awakening within myself but I still appreciate it. I recommend this to any teenage girl that could use a little encouragement about being a girl.


First Line:
"In the morning, her mother helped her put on the bathing suit with the cartoon baby bird on it."


Favorite Line:
"I think about Raven and how nothing did, except that thing I said that day, and I wish more things had made her cry and I wish I could have swum just once in the sea if her mermaid tears where all the rockstars should have drowned."

1 comment:

  1. I need to read something by Francesca Lia Block. There are certain books of hers that I am really looking forward to. This could very possibly be one of them. I can't believe I haven't read any of her books.

    ReplyDelete

Hello readers! I love comments, so please feel free to leave them. I do comment back on every comment I get, though it may take me a couple of days. Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...