Monday, February 1, 2010

Review: Some Girls Are - Courtney Summers

Where I got it: My collection
Rating: 4 stars
Cover Rating: 5 stars (Excellent, bold and story related.)
Genre: Young Adult
Publication Date: January 5, 2010
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Page Count: 246 p.

Regina Afton was a member of the Fearsome Fivesome, until some evil rumors started by a very evil girl started going around. The rumor being that Regina and Anna's boyfriend slept together. Anna is the Alpha so when she wants someone destroyed, it happens. Regina doesn't know what to do, no one will listen to her that it isn't true, no one except Michael. Why would Michael be nice to her when she destroyed his life? Through his kindness Regina starts to think that there might be more to their relationship, that is if the Fearsome Foursome doesn't kill her first.

This book is intense. Ten times more vicious than Mean Girls, this book gets you in the faces of small town bitches. Honestly these girls have so much power because everyone has known everyone else for too long. I really loved how realistic and gritty this book was. Courtney Summers made my skin crawl as I read about the awfulness that Regina was going through. I loved the dynamic of the relationships, how high school and true they felt. All the emotions were penned precisely so you could feel how dire some of the situations were and how elated Regina felt when she fought back. I definitely recommend that you read this book, if not today, tomorrow for sure. There are not any real faults with this book although she did have the tendency to have really long sentences. It was fast paced, kept you on the edge of your seat, you really got to know and feel for the characters, and it was INTENSE! So, pick it up at your local bookstore, library or your own bookshelf if you have bough it but not yet read it. (Unless you only like fantasy books, then you won't like this at all.)

First Line:
"Hallowell High: You're either someone or you're not."

Favorite Line:
"I wake up wired, and I go to school wired, popping antacids like they're candy."

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great review! I love the way you described how well the author portrayed emotions and the intensity of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing book. I loved it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this sounds good! i can't wait to read it. great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm buying this book Friday, so now I'm even more excted to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! This book was amazing, very intense, and gritty which I loved.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you just made me want to read this so much; it sounds really awesome : D Very nice review too!

    ReplyDelete

Hello readers! I love comments, so please feel free to leave them. I do comment back on every comment I get, though it may take me a couple of days. Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...