Thursday, February 4, 2010

Review: The Line - Teri Hall

Where I got it: ARC
Rating: 4 stars
Cover Rating: 5 stars (It's perfect. I love the light and dark contrast and I love the fact that it goes with the story.)
Genre: Young Adult
Publication Date: March 4, 2010
Publisher: Dial
Page Count: 220 p.

Rachel and her mother live on The Property and have for a long time. The Property is right next to The Line (a border to keep the U.S. separate from Away) but none of the government frequents out to this section of the border. Rachel didn't grow up with other kids but her mom has not kept her in the dark about the way things really are in the world. Rachel reads many articles about the mutants and other horrors that live in Away and though Away fascinates her it also scares her. She never gives it too much thought until she hears a recording that could only be from someone on the other side of The Line. The recording says that they need help.

This was a great book and I just wanted to keep reading until the end. Unfortunately this book doesn't really end, which means there will be a sequel which is exciting but also really frustrating because I NEED TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS NEXT! It is one of those books, the ones that leave you wanting more. I don't know what to say but I really enjoyed this novel. I loved the idea of this book; an almost dystopian novel which is a cross between M. Night Shyamalan's The Village and Orwell's 1984. They were pretty much only permitted to stay in their section of the world and the government was this big scary creature that was covering up it's mistakes and sending out propaganda. It was a little weird how well adapted Rachel was when she didn't grow up with much social interaction besides her mother and there were no other children. I like all the talk in the greenhouse. This book helps you glimpse into the excitement of breeding plants a little. The writing style flows nicely and keeps you zipping right through the story. The characters are very nicely developed and all pretty like-able. I say read it, but hopefully she comes out with the sequel soon because really, I can't stand the wait.

First Line:
"It seemed to Rachel that she had always lived on The Property, though this wasn't true."
Favorite Line:
"Vivian's voice was low, but as hard as the grip she had on her daughter's wrist."

13 comments:

  1. Definitely a must read for me. This sounds good, and great another dystopian for my challenge. Awesome. Great review. These series kill me though! I just want to go on immediately, that usually I just wait for the second one to come out to read the first, like I did with Hunger Games...now I'm desperately wanting #3!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure if I would like this one, but I might give it a shot. Glad you enjoyed it :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book looks interesting. I don't have it yet, but will probably pick it up when it's published.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mysterious and I do love that kind of book. However, I do wonder what kind criteria that differentiate dystopian from non-dystopian books? I am somewhat confuse about this sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, it sounds interesting. I think I never read a dystopian novel...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Didn't know there was going to be a sequel! I want to read this book. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Its a sequel? wow! I really love the argument and the trama spins xD kisses!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not against books which make you wait, but sometimes it feels like torture, no? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dystopia is my favorite genre! And I totally agree about the cover - it's so haunting and a bit beautiful, in a way. I think it's perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been wanting to The Line for a while now and after reading your review, it's safe to say it's staying up the top of my 'read, read, read!' list! It sounds awesome and I really love dystopian novels. Can't wait to get my hands on a copy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. this sounds interesting too. I love and hate great stories with sequels :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds really good, but I don't really like waiting, so I'll probably wait until the other books in the series are published to read them all together.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like an interesting read but I hate cliffhangers!!! Very frustrating!!

    ReplyDelete

Hello readers! I love comments, so please feel free to leave them. I do comment back on every comment I get, though it may take me a couple of days. Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...