Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Review: Before I Fall - Lauren Oliver

Where I got it: ARC from Princess Bookie's Around the World Tours
Rating: 4 stars
Cover Rating: 4 stars (I really like it, I think it fits well.)
Genre: Young Adult
Publication Date: March 3, 2010
Publisher: HarperCollins
Page Count: 470 p.

What would you do if you had to relive the last day of your life 7 times? After her accident, Samantha doesn't know what happened. She thought she was dead, she had that falling sensation, but then she wakes up in her bed right after. That's when she notices something odd; it's still February 12th. This book explores Samantha's last day and how she deals with not knowing whether or not she will wake up and it will finally be tomorrow.

I really enjoyed this book, it was a definite page turner, a race until the end. A truly great concept brought to life in Samantha. Her friends were so real and the whole high school atmosphere seemed alive. I really got to like Samantha as the story went on watching her realize things good and bad, seeing the mistakes she made and how she tries to fix them. I especially liked the weird but fun budding romance, even though it's always her last day she seems to make the most of it. I appreciated the parts of this book that were repeated to really give you a sense that this was happening again. All in all I thoughtfully enjoyed this book. It was just the right mix of suspense and romance and teenage life. The only thing that was a little weird was the last line, because it almost seems to condone suicide. I realize it doesn't (I'm sure Lauren doesn't want her readers to off themselves) but just everything that happens in the book just seems to point towards it. I recommend that you read this if it sounds like something that piques your interest. It was worth the read and it will be worth the wait to get your hands on it.

First Line:
"They say that just before you die your whole life flashes before your eyes, but that's not how it happened for me."

Favorite Line:
"I would live here forever, sleeping on a bed of moss, wearing flowers in my hair and living in harmony with the bears and foxes and unicorns."


Here's the U.K. Trailer


and here's the U.S. trailer
http://laurenoliverbooks.blogspot.com/2010/01/trailer-usa-version.html

15 comments:

  1. Sounds amazing. I can't wait! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I REALLY can't wait for this book. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to read this book! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to read this book. I really just can't wait. :]

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am waiting to win this book...LOL. And if I don't, I'll definitely be purchasing it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like Jenn-ay, I too am waiting to win this book somewhere *lol* Not sure when it'll be released in my country cause it generally take months to a year from the States release day! Have read TOO MANY good reviews on this one and seriously cannot wait to put my hand on one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! What can I say about this? I cannot wait for this. Really, since last year this is the book I am dying for!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved your favorite quote. I have not heard one bad thing about this book so I'm wicked excited to read this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shes the tipical queen but the stury has another focus. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thought I'd hate the part where everything repeats - but then again, that's the point of the book. Sigh. Glad you enjoyed it though!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so excited to read this book; I've heard nothing but great things about it. And I was worried about the repetitiveness, but I heard she handled it very well, so I'm glad to hear that you actually loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Everyone has been raaaving about this book! I so want to read it. Great review. I love the idea - reliving your last day over again. Glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've heard about this books a few times, and the cover is beautiful. But anyway wow relive her last day 7 times, that is really interesting, no wonder..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Right mix of suspense,romance and teenage? Score! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been dying to read this book. It sounds amazing!!

    ReplyDelete

Hello readers! I love comments, so please feel free to leave them. I do comment back on every comment I get, though it may take me a couple of days. Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...