Monday, January 25, 2010

Review: Girl on the Other Side - Deborah Kerbol

Where I got it: The Library
Rating: 3 stars
Cover Rating: 3 stars (I like how they are flip-flopped and wearing the appropriate shoes.)
Genre: Young Adult
Publication Date: October 30, 2009
Publisher: Dundurn Press
Page Count: 147 p.

Tabby is the girl who has it all; the clothes, the house, the popularity; everything money can buy. Lora doesn't have much, a sick mom, an unfortunate last name and too much to do at home. At one point, their lives cross in a dramatic way. This is a story about how two people who have two seemingly different lives can still face struggles that leave them hurt and tired; and how sometimes the person you relate to the most isn't someone vying for your attention.

This was an enjoyable little read. I liked the contrast between Tabby and Lora's lives, from an outside view, but how when you get down to it they were very alike. Even though it looks like Tabby has it all she doesn't have that family feel and she is instead very drawn to her nanny. Though this seems stereotypical I feel that it is more than likely quite accurate and unfortunate. I would recommend this if you enjoy realistic fiction because this was a nice little story and I am sure you would enjoy it. This is perfectly acceptable for the younger age range that this genre appeals to.

First Line:
"The toilet flushes beside me."

Favorite Line:
"The girls' bathroom is a disgusting place to hang out."

2 comments:

  1. This one looks good! I hadn't heard of it before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, that Favorite Line quotation is so true. Sounds like a nice realistic fiction book!

    ReplyDelete

Hello readers! I love comments, so please feel free to leave them. I do comment back on every comment I get, though it may take me a couple of days. Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...