Monday, January 11, 2010

Review: The Dark Divine - Bree Despain

Where I got it: Library
Rating: 4 stars
Cover Rating: 5 stars (It' a little creepy how photo-shopped pale she is though.)
Genre: Young Adult
Publication Date: January 7, 2010
Publisher: EgmontUSA
Page Count: 372 p.

Grace Divine is the daughter of a pastor. Until Daniel, a boy from her past returned to town, her life seemed to be as normal as one could hope . He had disappeared without a word but now he is back. While Grace battles her feelings for him she notices that her brother is not as keen on Daniel as he used to be. Now Grace has to find out what tore Daniel and her brother apart and why Daniel ran away in the first place, before he runs again.

This was a great book, but not what I was expecting at all. Better. I love how well Bree captures the relationships that a pastor's daughter has with other people. It reminds me when I was friends with a pastor's son, except we were not so adventurous. The voices seem pretty accurate depicting the true struggle that each of the characters are undergoing. There is so much tension in this book! However the ending was ridiculously mushy and didn't really fit with the rest. I really enjoyed this novel and look forward to the second one. I appreciate how Bree, like others, has sort of formed her own myths and theories about a well written about topic. I suggest you read this if you enjoy paranormal romance and a struggle between good and evil, right and wrong.

First Line:
"Blood fills my mouth."

Favorite Line:
"Was there a sign on my back that said, BITE ME, I'M AVAILABLE!?"

7 comments:

  1. I cannot wait to read this, great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to read this, but it's starting to sound like yet another vampire novel. Is it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hm, yeah, the ending was sort of mushy, but I'm a romantic; what can I say? Though I agree that it didn't really fit in. Either way, great review! It's hard to rate a book that's so popular. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review - it wasn't what I was expecting either! I loved it though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice review, though I don't remember reading your favourite line =O

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy 101 award for you: http://books-a-la-carte.blogspot.com/2010/01/happy-101-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this book! I also don't remember where your favorite line came from. Hm...

    Anyway, I do agree about the ending not quite fitting, but overall the book was great.

    ReplyDelete

Hello readers! I love comments, so please feel free to leave them. I do comment back on every comment I get, though it may take me a couple of days. Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...