Thursday, January 28, 2010

Revew: The Truth About Forever - Sarah Dessen

Where I got it: The Library
Rating: 5 stars
Cover Rating: 4 stars (I enjoy it, it's definitely eye-catching. It does not seem story relevant however.)
Genre: Young Adult
Publication Date: April 6, 2006
Publisher: Speak
Page Count: 374 p.

Macy has become "the girl whose father died" and it's not a title she enjoys. Although it's true, she wishes some people just didn't know, because they don't know how she feels. In an effort to get over her father she tries to make herself perfect. Her boyfriend, Jason, is perfect and wants her and everything else to be too. But some things you just can't predict. When Macy falls in with a catering group, Wish, she starts to notice that not everything is or has to be perfect all the time.

Wow. I really did not think I was going to love this book. I thought it would be some nice chick-lit fluff. Boy was I wrong. Sarah Dessen crafts a wonderful world with characters you wish you were friends with. She gets into her characters heads and really makes them come alive, to the point where you get emotionally attached to them. I loved the way everyone acted like a person instead of a fictional character. This book contained romance, humor, and as much excitement as you could hope for in a normal life. Sarah Dessen is a wonderful writer and I am so glad I read this novel. At the beginning of this story there was an interaction between Wes and Macy that just kind of left off. Sarah managed to bring the conclusion to that at the end. Everything she started she finished and the novel just felt complete. I suggest if you haven't read this and like realistic books with a bit of romance pick it up.

First Line:
"Jason was going to Brain Camp."

Favorite Line:
"'And yet they're not together, which is not only unjust, but really, when you think about it, tragical.'"

5 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read this one! I've read two of Dessen's books and one was okay and the other was great so I'm between about her. I think I have this one, but I still haven't gotten to it. Glad you like it, great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what I love about Sarah's books. While the majority of them do incorporate romance, at their core, her novels are really about so much more than just a boy/girl relationship. This has to be one of my favourite books. I love it & am glad to see you do too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Sarah Dessen. In general, she si just a brilliant writer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder what you mean by: I loved the way everyone acted like a person instead of a fictional character.
    I'd like to read this and see for myself, although my first Dessen wasn't what I expected.

    ReplyDelete

Hello readers! I love comments, so please feel free to leave them. I do comment back on every comment I get, though it may take me a couple of days. Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...