Monday, December 21, 2009

Review: Paper Towns - John Green

Where I got it:Library
Rating: 4.5 stars
Cover Rating: 4 stars (I like how the "o" is from the other version of the cover. The cover is very bright and in your face and she definitely could be Margo.)
Genre: Young Adult
Publication Date: October 16, 2008
Publisher: Dutton Juvenile
Page Count: 305 p.

Quentin loved Margo Roth Spiegelman. Nobody ever really knew Margo and Quentin was no exception. They were friends as kids but as they grew up they managed to grow apart despite still being neighbors. One night Margo climbs in through his bedroom window and reenters his life. They pull an all-nighter filled with payback and cross town adventures. But too soon the morning comes and they go back to their respective homes. Quentin manages to drag himself to school and is only a little surprised Margo is not there. As the days keep coming however and there is still no sign of Margo, Quentin wonders if maybe there is some way he can find her. He thinks that for some reason she wants him to find her. With the help of his friends Quentin embarks on a discovery mission of Margo Roth Spiegelman.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. John Green knows Laugh Out Loud funny. This book kept me on edge almost throughout. I could never really predict how one clue could lead us to the next and maybe eventually to Margo. John Green pegs teen geek voices perfectly and how in a small boring town you really have to make the most out of any situation you can. It seemed weird to me how much Quentin worshiped Margo, even after years of not knowing her. I can see how that is possible though, because that person would still be the same in your mind as how you last remember them being. Paper Towns also includes the Best Insult EVER!
"She may be hot, but she is also 1. aggressively vapid, and 2. an absolute, unadulterated, raging bitch." See what I mean, classic.
This is a must read for all who enjoy this genre. It's funny, suspenseful and realistic; all things a great novel should be (unless it's fantasy). John Green has a new fan on his hands and I look forward to reading some of his older books and waiting for his newer ones to come find me. I do have one question, can you use the word accompli without anything before it, like fait?

First Line:
"The way I figure it, everyone gets a miracle."

Favorite Line:
"I didn't want to leave Margo alone with the dead guy who might be an attack zombie, but I also didn't care to stand around and chat about the circumstances of his demise."

2 comments:

  1. I loved this book, and I think all of his books are probably worth reading, but from the two I've read it seems that they're quite similar.

    Also, I've only seen accompli with fait before it, so I don't think it's used any other way (in English).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I listened to this on audio and the guy that did the voices was great especially Radar (just guessing on the spelling since I didn't read the book). I loved listening to the book. I got desperate with Q and I was sweating to the end. I, too, am a new convert to John Green. I'm waiting to read An Abundance of Katherines.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete

Hello readers! I love comments, so please feel free to leave them. I do comment back on every comment I get, though it may take me a couple of days. Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...