Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Review: The Willoughbys by: Lois Lowry

Where I got it: Library
Rating: 5 stars
Cover Rating: 3.5 stars (I appreciate how the red door is a cut out, and the general style of the cover pleases me.)
Genre: Middle Grade Fiction
Publication Date: March 31, 2008
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Books for Children

Four children dream of being proper orphans. Like the good orphans in old-fashioned stories. They don't like their parents too terribly much (their parents don't like them either), so they decide to send them on a dangerous vacation hoping that they will meet an ill fate. They receive a nanny but are disheartened when they get good news from their parents. They meet a hermit that they gave a baby to and they all become good friends and who knows maybe even more.

This book was laugh out loud funny. I love how this was written, so proper sounding, yet ridiculously fun. I definitely recommend you pick this up and read it. It will only take you a very short time and you will be giggling about it until the end. I can't say too much about it without giving it all away. I love the glossary in the back and the Bibliography of all the "old-fashioned" books the kids wanted to style themselves after. The writing was very thorough and correct as we have come to expect from this writer. Definitely not the Lois we know from The Giver or Number the Stars, I quite like how outrageously delicious this novel is. READ IT READ IT READ IT READ IT! Thank you and good day.

P.S. this book may put you in a silly mood for quite some time.

First Line:
"Once upon a time there was a family named Willoughby: an old-fashioned type of family, with four children. "

Favorite Line"
"They forgot you , dear. I was actually quite surprised after they left and I settled in and found four children. They had told me they had three."

7 comments:

  1. it sounds fun :) i might pick it up. great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a student who begged me to by this book last year at the book fair. I didn't just becuase I had already spent a ton. I've heard it's really good. I'll pick it up soon I'm sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats a great cover and it sounds like a fun read too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh I love funny books I must give this one a go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was funny. I always enjoy her books!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The book seems so good! And a little tragic withe the children wanting to be orphans and with those heartless parents..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha this sounds great. I don't usually read middle grade books but lately I've been reading all these awesome reviews for MG novels. This definitely sounds like a funny read to venture back into my childhood with :D

    ReplyDelete

Hello readers! I love comments, so please feel free to leave them. I do comment back on every comment I get, though it may take me a couple of days. Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...