Friday, November 27, 2009

Review: My Invented Life - Lauren Bjorkman

Where I got it: From Henry Holt and Company after accepting author's offer
Rating: 4 stars
Cover Rating: 5 stars (It's sexy, I love the glamour pose. However I don't like the back cover it doesn't go with the front really. It's good on its own but they don't work together.)
Genre: Young Adult
Publication Date: September 29, 2009
Publisher: Henry Holt and Company
Page Count: 229 (ARC) Including the Lexicon of Shakespearean Insults

Roz and Eva are sister and were friends. They were friends BD (before deletion), Before Eva complete cut Roz out of her life. Roz drools after Eva's boyfriend (not for the first time) and wishes she had her sisters acting talent so she could get the lead in the school play. Roz starts to suspect that there is something going on with Eva that she doesn't want to admit to, so she comes up with a plan to get Eva to spill the beans. Unfortunately the plan backfires, well sort of. It didn't go quite the way Roz had planned but maybe it helped her and her sister realize things about themselves that they weren't able to see before.

This book was hilarious, engrossing, ludicrous. So many times while doing my laundry I was laughing out loud and people were staring. It is indeed that funny, not to mention that most Shakespearean words sound funny even if they aren't meant to be. It was really nice to read a light-hearted book about sexual identity issues. It seems like they are all so serious. Not that it's not a serious issue, it's just they all seem to be so heavy where as this one was fun.I loved the dynamics between the characters and it was great having a story from a theater geek's perspective. So often the main character in the book doesn't really have a passion for one thing in particular. Characters will often be passionate but not necessarily about just one thing. It was nice to read about the geekiness and the rivalry that goes on behind stage. Lauren is a welcome fresh voice in young adult fiction. I definitely recommend you put this on your TBR list, it will make you laugh, possibly until you pee your pants. Thou spleeny prick-eared slug!

First Line:
"I raise my mini club and try to focus on the clown's chomping mouth."

Favorite Line:
"My father was no prostitute."

1 comment:

  1. Really good review! I haven't read this one yet, but I've wanted to.

    That first line is so random! Haha I'm curious to know what it's about.

    ReplyDelete

Hello readers! I love comments, so please feel free to leave them. I do comment back on every comment I get, though it may take me a couple of days. Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...