Thursday, November 12, 2009

Review: Journey of Dreams by: Marge Pellegrino

Where I got it: Frances Lincoln Children's Books through The Picnic Basket
Rating: 4 stars
Cover Rating: 4 stars (I appreciate the beautiful artwork and it fits the story well. I'm glad this was not just a glamour photo. Also the jacket matches the actual book itself, which is marvelous.)
Genre: Young Adult
Publication Date: August 1, 2009
Publisher: Frances Lincoln Children's Books

This is Tomasa's story and how she and what's left of her family must try to escape from the Guatemalan army. They must journey far, sometimes retracing their steps, when things go awry. They must hide who they are and be careful who they trust. Their father tells them stories to help them get to sleep after hard days of many miles. All they want is the quiet refuge of the United states and a reunion with the others of their family.

I really appreciated this book and am very glad I signed up to receive it. I wouldn't normally pick up a book like this because I can't really relate to it. Most of us have never had to endure genocide or border crossings, that fear mixed with the glint of hope. This was a beautiful story with rich storytelling and heartfelt moments. Everything seemed so real and the images were vivid in my mind, much like Tomasa's woven huipil blouses. I think this would be a great novel to read along with a Central American unit in school, or if you are interested in Guatemalan culture and their hardships. This is a great book about refugees and how much different people's lives are in other parts of the world. This is a novel of bravery and dreams and a passion for freedom that drives them through. If you get a chance definitely pick up this book. If you are a teacher this is a must read for you. Marge Pellegrino wove a beautiful story in this novel.

First Line:
"Thwap, thwap, thwap. The high green branches of the pine trees shiver in the wind from the dark green machine whirring above us."

Favorite Line:
"'Where did the green go?' Maria asks."

2 comments:

  1. This looks like a really interesting book. I might pick it up when I see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sad is it that what first caught my attention was that the author's name is Marge Pellegrino because MARK Pellegrino plays Lucifer on Supernatural. *slaps forehead* I'm too obsessed with that show LOL.

    But wow, this sounds like a brilliant novel. Beautiful and emotional - a story I think would suck me in for the journey. Really well written review!

    ReplyDelete

Hello readers! I love comments, so please feel free to leave them. I do comment back on every comment I get, though it may take me a couple of days. Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...