Monday, November 30, 2009

Review: The Graveyard Book - Neil Gaiman

Where I got it: Library
Rating: 4 stars
Cover Rating: 2 stars (Interesting but wouldn't make me want to pick it up.)
Genre: Middle Grade Fiction
Publication Date: September 30, 2008
Publisher: HarperCollins
Page Count: 309 (including last illustration)

Bod, short for Nobody Owens, escaped his own death when he was just an infant. Though his attacker had not given up Bod has remained safe in the graveyard, whose inhabitants have taken him in. Bod learns what he can through the years from the different ghosts and other folk who reside in the graveyard. Now and then he ventures out into the real world but nothing good usually comes from those escapades. This is the story of him coming into his own, after being under the watchful eye of his Guardian.

This was an enjoyable book. I loved the illustrations, even though some of them looked unfinished I think they went with the text very nicely. This wasn't a flowing novel really, each chapter was like a different clip from Bod's life. The chapters progressed in order and Bod was a little older in each one until the end. It was interesting to read about Bod in the real world and how he reacted and how people reacted to him, because he was a little different than they were. The relationships that Bod made were interesting, some of them good, some of them bad, most of them weird. The writing was spot on for being a book about a graveyard filled with dead people from decades ago in England. I don't have any bad things to say about this book. It's Neil Gaiman, it was a good story and that is pretty much all. I liked it. Read it. You have the time, what are you reading right now? LAME, read this instead.

First Line:
"There was a hand in the darkness, and it held a knife."

Favorite Line:
"A voice by his ear said, ' Say you'll miss me, you lumpkin.'"

3 comments:

  1. Great review! I've been curious about this one for a while - now I'm going to have to read it! :)

    Love your site!
    www.shannonkodonnell.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. About the cover - did you notice the profile of what I assume to be a little boy's face? It's on the right side of the gravestone. I never saw it until I showed it to my students. They found it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a huge fan of Neil Gaiman so I don't think I'll pick this one up. Great review :)

    P.S. I got Beautiful Creatures in the mail yesterday, thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete

Hello readers! I love comments, so please feel free to leave them. I do comment back on every comment I get, though it may take me a couple of days. Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...