Monday, October 26, 2009

Review: Pretty Dead by: Francesca Lia Block

Where I got it: Library
Rating: 3 stars
Cover Rating: 5 stars (This cover is so sexy.)
Genre: Young Adult Fiction
Publication Date: September 22, 2009
Publisher: HarperTeen

Charlotte has lost many people over the years and, oh how many years it has been. When she is finally on her own she has to find someone to fill up her emptiness, but who is there? She has everything anyone could want, except a lover, except mortality.

This book was short and sweet, maybe a little too short. Unlike Block's earlier works this book seem to be lacking that poetic edge, that twists your stomach in knots and makes you cry out as if you were one of her tragic characters. This book was simply a small glimpse into the life of Charlotte Emerson. It was a good story for what it was. You got to see how she dealt with a very small section of her very long life. A sneak peak into what could have been a much longer novel. The characters were mostly undeveloped, though it seemed to be on purpose. You didn't really feel for any of them because you never got a chance to connect to them. I was quite excited when I found out that the lovely Francesca was doing a vampire novel but after reading it, I was left feeling disappointed. This is not a novel, it is a snippet; An epic poem without the hero. If you want to tick this one off your list then go ahead and read it but don't add it to your pile.


First Line:
"Teenage girls are powerful creatures."

Favorite Line:
"my darling in the red dress"

2 comments:

  1. Heck yes, the cover is HOT. I might read it & get it from the library 2, i haven't read any of Francesca's books. So i better get to it lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read this before, but it sounds like a good one. Even though I'm not too much of a fan of vampire YA books lately.

    ReplyDelete

Hello readers! I love comments, so please feel free to leave them. I do comment back on every comment I get, though it may take me a couple of days. Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...