Friday, October 9, 2009

Review: Liar by: Justine Larbalestier

Where I got it: Won the ARC from
Princess Bookie
Rating: 3 stars (good but wierd)
Cover Rating: 4 stars (Much better now.)
Genre: Young Adult Fiction
Publication Date: September 29, 2009
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Children's Books

Micah is a liar, but she thinks she's read to come clean. Being a compulsive liar however, isn't an easy thing to give up. She's tricked her classmates and teachers as well as her parents. She always keeps her lies straight, but after her secret boyfriend dies, does she have what it takes to come clean? To finally tell the truth? Micah has many secrets that shes been hiding, that are eating away at her, it might be time for her to spill.

The writing was amazing and Micah's voice was real and strong. I really enjoyed this book, Micah seemed like your typical outcast, except with very outrageous lies. i.e. pretending to be a boy. All in all I liked Micah until the middle of the book. Her big secret seemed too big, it made since when you looked back on all the little subtle clues she was leaving, but still... wow! I really was not expecting that. Anyways Even after that I liked the approach the book takes with the issue, it wasn't like all the other books about the same thing. I definitely admit this book held me until the end because I had to know what was going to happen next. Who killed Zach? What was happening with Micah? Is she lying to me or is this the truth? It was surprising to find out the little lies she was telling us. The things she kept secret. The book had a feel like she was talking to another counselor or shrink. It didn't really feel like she was talking to me, because honestly why would she be telling me these things. I always enjoy a book where the main character talks directly to the reader, but like I said it didn't feel like she was talking to me. I would recommend this to some one who wants a semi-exciting read about a girl who just doesn't know when to quit. I did enjoy this story, the reason it only gets three stars is it was a little unbelievable and confusing at times. Not super confusing so you didn't know what was going on, but you really had to pay attention. It is a book in it's own category, since I have never read something quite like it before. So if you already wanted to read it, go for it. If you haven't heard anything about it, pick it up.

1 comment:

Hello readers! I love comments, so please feel free to leave them. I do comment back on every comment I get, though it may take me a couple of days. Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...