Saturday, August 15, 2009

Review: Madapple by: Christina Meldrum

Where I got it: The Library
Rating: 5 stars (Love it!)
Cover Rating: 4 stars (I really love how the whole front and back cover is one image)
Genre: Young Adult Fiction
Publication Date: May 13, 2008
Publisher: Knopf Books for Young Readers

Maren tells her sister she is pregnant. Maren tells her sister she is still a virgin. This is how Aslaug's story begins. Aslaug has only ever known her mother Maren and she knows of their lone neighbor. Maren home schools her and teaches her of other religions and beliefs and many languages. When her mother dies Aslaug doesn't know what to do. Thrust into a world she has never know Asluag must figure out how to survive based on a few hints and clues her mother has seem to have left her. This story told in alternating chapters between 2003 when all this begins and her trial in 2007 reveals Aslaug's story and how it all turns out in the end.

Wow. What a great story. What's that I see in the back of this book? A bibliography. AWESOME! So I had checked this book out a few times and never got around to reading it. I sure am glad I finally did. Christina Meldrum writes a wonderful portrayal of a girl kept from the world and well educated in everything except social standards. I don't want to say to much and ruin it but I really enjoyed this book. Christina Meldrum adds in lots of myths and ancient religion along with many facts about plants and their powers. Aslaug ends up remembering a place her mother once had them drive to and there she finds some of her family and they try to help her piece together who her father was. You really have to sit down and read this; it is in its own league a truly unique tale that will certainly keep you wanting for the next page.

1 comment:

  1. I'd love to see what the back looks like. I've never seen it before. (you got it at the library, so I'm assuming you don't have it anymore..) Glad you enjoyed it! I'm 3,000 points away from getting it free from Randombuzzers! :D It'll be my first free book from there.

    ReplyDelete

Hello readers! I love comments, so please feel free to leave them. I do comment back on every comment I get, though it may take me a couple of days. Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...