Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Review: Secrets, Lies and My Sister Kate by: Belinda Hollyer

Where I got it: The Library
Rating: 3.5 stars (The narrator is a young, so I imagined different things then what she was thinking but this book was still a treat)
Cover Rating: 4 stars (The cover is great it captures Kate very well and I like how dark and mysterious it is. )
Genre: Young Adult Fiction
Publication Date: January 5, 2009
Publisher: Holiday House

Mini and her sister Kate have bad names (which I won't disclose here) and so they use their nicknames. They have always been really close, they even have a secret travel game that they play since Mini is such an Ace at geography. One day though, Kate starts acting strange, she comes home late, she cries a lot. Mini has no idea what's going on with her sister. Her parents ask Mini if she and Kate have any secrets, trying to figure out what is going on, although they kind of already know. One day Kate disappears and the police are called and everything. Mini doesn't know what to do, so she talks to this kid Satch(not his real name) and it turns out that he's a great listener. Kate gets home but not long after she disappears again and this time no one knows where she's gone, or do they? Before Kate left she put a pebble in Mini's bed, now it's up to Mini to piece things together and bring Kate home before Mini has to have her thirteenth birthday without her.

I enjoyed this story, it seemed very realistic, especially with Mini being a geography nerd and at the age where she not that ashamed of it yet and can still enjoy it fully. There are lots of geography facts in the beginning half of the book, and I wish they could have worked more into the last half. I like how simple Mini can be because she's only twelve and doesn't really know everything that's going on or has gone on. There's not a whole lot I can say about this book except that I enjoyed it and was dying to know Mini's name by the end. I suggest you read it. It's only 135 pages so it's a quick and delightful read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello readers! I love comments, so please feel free to leave them. I do comment back on every comment I get, though it may take me a couple of days. Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...